16 Jan Is your cell phone compatible with your hearing aids?
Posted at 11:10h in Articles, Hearing Aids 0 Comments
With so many cell phone out there today it is important to know which features will work best with your hearing aids.
Cell phones are tested on how they work with hearing aids in relation to static, interference and how they work with a hearing aid telecoil. All hearing aids are rated on whether they are hearing aid compatible (HAC).
- M rating: how well the cell phone will work with the hearing aid in microphone mode. This is rated from M1 (the lowest) to M4 (the clearest signal)
- T rating: how well the cell phone will work using the telecoil in the hearing aid. This is rated from T1 (the lowest) to T4 (the clearest signal)
- If you wear hearing aids consider choosing a cell phone with an M3/T3 rating or greater
Some other features to keep in mind when choosing a new cell phone:
- Adjustable ringer
- Adjustable volume control
- Vibrating alerts/notifications
- Speaker phone
- Text messaging
- Call display
The most important thing is to try out your new cell phone with your hearing aids before you buy and make sure you understand the return policy.
Check out the Better Hearing Institute for a list of phones and their hearing aid compatibility rating.