25 May Tinnitus – The more you know the better!
Posted at 11:54h in Articles, Tinnitus 0 Comments
In recognition of Tinnitus Awareness Week we have been talking about Tinnitus! When it comes to tinnitus the more you know the better. Here are some of the highlights!
- Established in 1927, May has since been known as “Better Hearing and Speech Month” – a time to raise national public awareness, knowledge and understanding of speech, language and hearing disorders. A week in May is set aside to focus specifically on increasing public awareness about tinnitus and most importantly the need for increased funding for tinnitus research.
- Do you know what tinnitus sounds like? Check out this website to have a listen http://www.ata.org/sounds-of-tinnitus
- Did you know? 3 million Canadians have tinnitus.
- Did you know? Hearing aids can be used for hearing loss as well as tinnitus? Hearing aids can amplify environmental sounds and in turn provide your brain with new sounds to process instead of constantly alerting you to the sound of your tinnitus. Widex hearing aids have Zen which plays soft music or white noise to help manage tinnitus. Have a listen http://www.widex.ca/en/products/thewidexsound/zen/
- Protect your hearing & prevent tinnitus—Avoid NOISE!
- There are lots of ways to introduce sound into your environment to decrease the perception of tinnitus. You can purchase a sound machine, nature CDs or download an App.
Visit your audiologist to talk about Tinnitus – the more you know the better! Call us today to book your tinnitus assessment – 482-2222